Monday, April 27, 2009

Never give up

Acts 27:18-20 " 18We took such a violent battering from the storm that the next day they began to throw the cargo overboard. 19On the third day, they threw the ship's tackle overboard with their own hands. 20When neither sun nor stars appeared for many days and the storm continued raging, we finally gave up all hope of being saved."

This is at the end of the book of acts. Paul is going to Rome to be tried as a Roman for blasphemy, I think. Anyway, so there sailing to Rome, when a violent storms comes up out of no where and just attacks the ship. They start throwing stuff off to lighten the boat for hopes of redemption, but to no avail. Finally they throw the ship's tackle off and gave up all hope.

A ship's tackle is the gear that is used in ship. So like ropes for sails, compass, etc. If you ever get caught in life or death situation where you need to live off the land for many days till rescue come, the will to survive is all that matters (thanks, surviverman) . How long can you still content, at peace, at rest when your life has a storm? How long can you survive? Some people think they can, because they can. Hard mind, hard heart, a die hard, and you'll go the way of the Dodo. We can't survive alone, we need manna, and so when life comes down hard don't throw your tackle off your life. How are you supposed to get home with no tackle, with no ropes or a compass? You'll be lost at sea.
Never give up on prayer and others praying for you. Never give up on scripture. And most importantly never give up in worship, for it's worship that sustains us.

"Lord redeem me. Redeem what I've given up on. Help me get back home. I'll set my eyes on you, for you are my true north. Draw me close and remove all my carnality. Empty, and fill me back up with you savior."

No comments: